After Casting: You have the job!
Now you have gone through an elaborate application process including the Assessment Center, avoiding all hurdles and beating tens of competitors. first of all congratulations!
Unfortunately, that's not all: Now, in practice, it must be clear whether you and your new boss, your colleagues and your new responsibilities really work together. Therefore, the new job is not a lottery winning and certainly not a reason to put your feet up.
Now the stress starts!
On the contrary, now the stress is really going on. For probably both sides have a little exaggerated in the application process:
The person may have concealed the fact that your new boss is a psychopath or the working environment is a disaster. Or that your five predecessors have already failed in the scope of your task.
No second chance for the first impression
And you may have exaggerated a little bit on the heart of English and computer skills, and have described the competencies in your last job a little too flowery.
Neither is great, but now it is important to make a good impression - right from the start. Because you know the saying: "There is no second chance for a first impression".
This is how you exceed the probationary period
Right. And that applies even more to bosses and new colleagues and their impression of the “new”, ie you. You should be aware of this from day one.
And then there is the probationary time, which you have to go through once. For those who are not careful, is quickly back out of the new job.
8 Tips for the first day in the new job
Therefore, we have compiled 8 tips for you, which you should pay attention to when you want to be able to make the first, and especially the first days, well in the new job:
- Questions - but not too much: Who dont asks stays dump. And ignorance is also tolerated by job starters. However in moderation - who constantly asks stupid, quickly disqualifies itself. So better to ask once, instead of hooking twenty times.
- Do not leave the door: First of all, watch everything from the safe cover. And self-esteem is good - but do not be too self-confident. This will only irritate everyone to show it to you.
- Just do not be a nerd! You want to show everyone How good you are? Praiseworthy, but unhelpful. Prisoners and perfectionists are rather unpopular with colleagues, for bosses they are rather the perfect workhorse. You do not earn recognition and respect (more about this topic).
- See through the structure of power: Who can with whom, who can not? Who is in charge? Who is the opinion leader? Who is always the bogeyman? Stick to the important people - they do not necessarily have to be superiors. But: Without personal sympathy that does not work.
- Private and professional separation: You want to be popular? Understandable - but they do not fall straight into the house with the door, but keep a certain distance: Friendships are indeed possible with colleagues, but certainly need a time. (More on this in my interview ZEIT ONLINE)
- Avoid frustrated: The fraction of the frustrated - who knows only bad things to say about the company and the boss - exists everywhere, even in good companies. Avoid these Meckerfritzen, because you steer yourself in the group structure otherwise quickly into a marginal position.
- Searching for help: Find a mentor who also explains the human background and power structure. In any case: Who Like What - Who does not ask remains stupid. So ask a lot!
- Write it all down: To avoid constant queries and forgetting names, it's best to write everything down. Of course, so that no one notices, because that's embarrassing again.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965962507
English version: ISBN 9783965962514 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).