From the author:
Main trigger of dissatisfaction
Companies like to loudly and publicly confirm to their employees that 'happy employees lead to a healthy company'. In practice, this is rarely the case. The working environment - characterized by distrust and conflict - is often frustrating and demotivating. There is no doubt about it: a satisfied employee who is well disposed towards the employer is more productive and motivated, shows more initiative and willingness to collaborate.
These qualities are important for a company willing to change. Ignoring this because it is 'difficult' to handle seems to be a dramatic mistake. Dr. Eliyahu Goldratt has identified the main causes of the dissatisfaction that is often present - with the aim of eliminating them and creating satisfaction. He called them the 'Engines of Disharmony' and compared them with the 'Engines of Harmony' - the desired state, so to speak.
ENGINES OF DISHARMONY
- I do not know what My contribution: and I also do not know how my contribution is assessed / acknowledged.
- I do not know what the Contribution of others: and I do not know how to be rated / acknowledged.
- organizational conflicts: which rules are best applied to achieve the organizational goal.
- Inertia: / Fear of failure prevents necessary changes and continuous improvement.
- Individual conflicts due to existing Gaps: between responsibility and authority (leads to “extinguishing fire”).
ENGINES OF HARMONY
- I know exactly what my contribution is and how my contribution is assessed / acknowledged.
- I know exactly what others have to contribute and how their contribution is assessed / acknowledged.
- Systematic alignment of the rules with the goal of the organization (replacing the local / short-term optima with rules for a global optimum).
- Processes, skills and culture are oriented towards a continuous improvement by uncovering contradictions and infractions of basic assumptions.
- Systematically closing all gaps between responsibilities and authorities. “Extinguishing fire” is the impetus for conflict resolution.
Step by step to harmony
Desired changes affect the entire company and therefore all employees. Want this Sense see in their work, work productively and harmoniously with others and make a positive contribution to the company.
In practice, the Theory of Constraints provides for each of the engines concrete tools that help to go the path from disharmony to harmony. It is important that this fits into the entire process of continuous improvement.
Exposing the causes
In order for people to interact effectively in a professional environment, they need clearly defined roles and responsibilities. In this way, the Engines of Disharmony break up one at a time, exposing their underlying causes, which can then be eliminated with other tools:
- Each role in the company is defined precisely with all its functions, in cooperation with the respective employee.
- Conflicts and contradictions are identified and clarified or eliminated by the responsible management levels.
- A change matrix is used to develop the necessary changes.
- Frequent fire extinguishers, identified in 2, serve as an indication of gaps between authority and responsibility.
- The entire company structure is therefore being put to the test.
Openness as a basis
In this way, the entire company structure is thoroughly tested and, in agreement, improved. Invalid or harmful rules are eliminated or adjusted. It is important to show the necessary openness:
If employees are encouraged to raise grievances, they must also be seriously discussed. It does not necessarily mean that a change is necessary or the best solution. But this can only be found out if everything is considered.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Buy a book on the topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want more information? There is also a book, including this text, and you can purchase the book title here directly in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then buy directly on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965961944
English version: ISBN 9783965961951 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).