This entry contains content and information that may be out of date, eg due to legal or statistical changes. Because it can still be helpful to get an overview of the topic, you can still find it here.
Insurance in the test
The Warentest Foundation has initially tested 2007 4000 accident insurance (stand 0April 2007), which you can call here. Overall, the Haftungskasse Darmstadt has cut off the best. However, the result is not binding because the test winner and some other tested insurance companies have already announced changes to the tariff.
Some insurance companies advertise with a so-called contribution rebate. Sounds good, but is not worth it! With such a model, you will pay significantly higher contributions, of which you will later bear a portion with approx. Four percent interest and withhold various processing fees. Contrary to the name, the actual insurance premiums for the accident protection are not repaid, but you only combine the insurance with a savings contract or a life insurance with low yield and often high and opaque processing fees. Instead, please deposit your savings separately!
6 Tips for searching
Look for the most complete insurance possible, which assumes probable risks, but not the unlikely extras. Part 1 in the following overview shows you what to look for and what you can do without:
- Progression: You can arrange a progressive disability scale. That is, starting from a disability of 25 percent, the percentage is doubled, from 50 percent tripled, and so on. Depending on the insurance contract, the percent full disability score increases to 300 (P300 tariff) or even 500 (P500 tariff) percent. In the case of total disability, three or five times the sum insured is paid out. Of course you pay higher premiums for a high progression. Nevertheless, these tariffs usually offer a better value for money. However: With a disability up to 25 percent the normal linear tariff usually provides the same amount as a policy with a high progression.
- Dynamics: On the other hand, if you set dynamics, the sum insured increases dynamically according to an agreed fixed percentage per year. Of course, the premiums increase accordingly. This dynamic is intended for career starters who can initially pay only low premiums. An entry-level policy so to speak. However, if necessary, only a smaller sum insured is available. Especially career starters have no other protection, but are often more active and thus vulnerable to injury. You should therefore immediately close a sufficiently high insurance.
- Hospital Cash / money recovery / Injury Benefit: You may also agree to receive hospitalization allowance or, after discharge from hospital, a recovery allowance. It is also possible to pay an accident daily allowance based on the degree of impairment of the ability to work. These benefits are worthwhile, however, only if you have agreed as a self-employed with your health insurance a tariff, after you receive no sick pay or - in the private health insurance - sickness allowance. And: The corresponding rates of health insurance are usually cheaper, because there also gives money in case of sick leave.
- Immediate benefits: Some insurance companies offer to pay fixed capital (immediate payments) or a painkill for certain serious injuries. Other payments include payments for cosmetic surgery for disfigurement, accident or salvage costs, which are not or only partially taken over by the health insurance funds. In addition, certain care services are offered, such as shopping and house cleaning. Many of these benefits are covered by health insurance.
- Part Insurance: Such cut-out insurances offer insurance cover only for certain, clearly defined accidents: Example occupant accident insurance: You can insure passengers of a certain motor vehicle according to flat rate system (all seats of the vehicle are insured) or the place system (only certain places are insured). However, the risks of this additional insurance are partly covered by health insurance or motor liability insurance. Or supplementary accident insurance: As a rule, a life insurance covers all deaths. Therefore, such cutouts often are not worthwhile because they only cover very specific risks. Even if the contributions seem low at first glance, the price-performance ratio is usually poor.
Which hazard groups are there?
Not all people are equal before insurance companies. The "guilt" for this is above all the actuaries who have calculated different risks. According to them, dangerous jobs and younger people carry the greatest risks. An important factor when calculating your insurance premiums is the risk group in which you are classified by the insurance company.
As a guideline for a good accident insurance: For an insurance sum of 100.000 Euro and a progression of 350 per cent a woman or a man of danger group A should not pay more than 180 in the year.
And if you are to pay more than 300 Euro and more as a man in danger group B, the insurance is also unfavorable. In detail, the two hazard groups are:
- Hazard group A: It usually comprises occupations with non-physical activity, such as office activity. Commercial clerical workers, for example, are classified into this danger group.
- Hazard group B: includes occupations with physical and dangerous activities. This includes, for example, motorists or craftsmen. The tariffs are correspondingly expensive: depending on the offer, the contribution in group B can be more than twice as high as in group B.
In addition, there are different groups that are treated differently by the insurance company. It follows that: There is no insurance which provides the best protection for every group of persons;
Much more, you have to compare the insurances individually, depending on the circle of people you belong to. For some groups, the latest test results of the Stiftung Warentest (stand 0April 2007, subject to change), which you can call here)
- Some insurance companies simply exclude risky professions, such as roofers or scaffolding builders, demolitionists, or circus enthusiasts, entirely from insurance or only provide them with a leisure accident insurance. Other companies charge much higher contributions: the best rates for such dangerous professions are provided by the InterRisk ): For the tariff P300 AUB99-XL you pay 202 Euro, for the tariff P500-AUB99-XL 24Beide tariffs were rated by the Stiftung Warentest with the grade 1,4.
- Some insurance companies charge risky hikes for certain hobbies such as motorcyclists, mountaineering, diving, flying and riding. Other insurance companies reduce the benefits in the case of accidents caused by such hobbies. So compare the offers here very exactly.
- Officer and civil servants often pay less in special tariffs.
- People who are already severely handicapped or need care are generally uninsurable. People with intellectual disabilities are usually uninsured.
- People with pre-existing conditions also have disadvantages - not when the insurance is completed, but when it comes to disability benefits: if someone who had an osteoarthritis in the knee before the accident had a stiff knee, that the insurance does not recognize the degree of disability provided for, if the proportion of the disease is 25 percent or more of the disability. The insured then receives less than the agreed insurance sum. However, some societies, such as the NV in their accident-maxx conditions (for more details, see section on section tax), only draw a degree from the degree of invalidity if they contribute more than 50 per cent of the disease.
- Also seniors from the 66. Years of life sometimes have difficulties to get a suitable insurance or to continue this on previous terms. Or you receive the benefit in the event of damage not as a one-off payment, but as a monthly pension. These so-called senior rates often offer higher contributions for weaker benefits. Here it depends on the individual's ability to negotiate, to stay at the desired rate and not to be forced into a seniority plan.
- Younger people in particular are often more active, for example, in sports, and their risk of accidents is correspondingly high. It is therefore advisable to agree with 30 years the sixfold, with the 40 years the fifth and with 50 years the fourfold of your monthly income as an insurance sum - then you are also secured in the next years accordingly. Of course, with a higher insurance sum, the contributions are correspondingly higher.
- Women can usually assure themselves at the same conditions as men, with some even insuring significantly more favorably. For many providers, you are also expected to be in danger group A, regardless of the profession. The best rates for women are offered by the Ammerländer), whose exclusive rates have almost all been graded with Note 1,4: For a P300 exclusive rate, women pay 100 Euro per year, with increasing progression (P350, P400, P500) six euros more.
- Children are often already insured in the kindergarten or school or already included in the parents' policy. Therefore, the contributions for children and young people under 18 years are significantly lower than for adults: The most favorable tariff, which is the only one rated very well (note 1,5), is offered by the VHV (www.vhv.de): The P500 tariff exclusive costs 83 Euro per year. If you are to pay more than 100 Euro for a child accident insurance, this is too expensive - look for another insurance.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).