Has personal self-expression been normal for a long time?
In his article, Tjal Nienaber writes something that is still causing heated discussions in Germany: The presentation of one's own person on the net with videos, pictures and texts should not be a problem for most of today's graduates and career starters, the handling of Facebook, Youtube, Instragram and Co. is for the generation Y and Z Usus. Self-marketing on the internet is something completely familiar to them.
Game, sports, tension in the workplace
And also in recruiting, private life has long since found its way into the job: More and more companies are realizing that they can attract young, well-qualified employees with a homely atmosphere in the workplace, games, fun, sports and healthy food. Because the corporate culture has changed.
Lost by USCompany Like Google and Facebook, Germany has long since developed its own trend under the buzzword Feelgood developed. But it 's more than pure pleasure Feelgood expert Monika Kraus-Wildegger in an interview: At first glance, the term "fun" or "health" is associated. Companies that emphasize only these aspects often do not want any further structural changes. This is what really matters: Feelgood is an active corporate culture, pushes themes and projects that are important to the colleagues.
Does work-life-blending more productively?
One should meet the mixture of professional and private concerns, in the jargon work-life-blending, so certainly with criticism. For example, because it often not only remains with joint activities, but also in this way private relationships, friendships and more arise. What do the facts look like?
On the other hand, studies show that working with friends is good for the workplace and makes it more productive. The Gallup Institute, for example, has found in its survey of approximately five million employees that 30 percent of employees have a so-called best friend in the office.
Teams that understand each other work better
More than half of it, namely 56 percent, is fully engaged at work. Of the remaining 70 percent, only eight percent were enthusiastic about their job, 63 percent make service by regulation, and 29 percent even fell by negative remarks about their job. And an investigation at the Columbia University showed that colleagues who liked each other and helped each other were much more productive than those who were dedicated to the job.
The connection between friendly feelings, working atmosphere and increased performance is evident: those who understand themselves well with their colleagues have more fun and are more productive. Nevertheless, caution is sometimes required - because friends can be chosen, colleagues can not. As conflicts of intercourse and intercourse are mixed, conflicts can arise.
The mixing of professional and private concerns becomes problematic, for example, when one person wants more than a collegial relationship, but the other does not. Or if Nachnachnachber likes to tell spicy details from his private life, which one would rather not hear. Since most people want the most harmonious professional life possible, they are unsure whether they can then put such colleagues in their place.
Another problem is envy, which is the result of a sudden career of fellow colleagues - and the other does not. Or when private information is misused to gain a professional advantage.
Also appeal to negative feelings
Depending on the intensity of the relationship, one should also address such negative feelings, because to a certain extent, such behavior is normal. In a normal working relationship, on the other hand, there is a factual discussion about the new situation. In turn, however, it is not useful to separate private life and professionalism.
Apart from the fact that this is now becoming increasingly rare, conflicts can hardly be avoided in the long run. On the contrary, whoever avoids the need for private contacts is soon regarded as unsympathetic and is mutually exclusive, which in the long run also hurts the career.
Relationship management in the job is easier
And one more thing to note is that, thanks to the flexible working methods, frequent location and workplace changes, there is less and less opportunity to establish and maintain intensive private relationships outside the profession.
In addition, one is inevitably talking about the work with which one is spending his day. If you do not make a compensation there will be a big problem when you lose a job.
10 Work Life Blending Tips
Work-life blending, the mixing of personal and professional interests, can make working more pleasant, but also lead to conflicts. 10 Tips for the right handling.
- No avoidance attitude: People are social beings - even and especially at work. It therefore does not mean to exclude private things in the job
- Draw boundaries: Not everyone is sympathetic and you do not have to exchange with each person private details. Make it clear where your limits lie.
- Open talk about problems: There is conflict potential in every human relationship. Talk openly about your problems and try to resolve them.
- Do not blaspheme: Even if it seems tempting: blasphemed with fellow colleagues over the boss, might be in the eye.
- Social contacts outside: Even if it is difficult: Take care of social contacts outside their jobs. Otherwise, your friendships will be lost when you lose your job.
- Do not get distracted: Here's another chat, as a coffee: Even if you work with friends, the job should not be a chat hour - otherwise there is trouble with the boss.
- Factual distance: Distinguish between real friends and nice colleagues. Private contacts are ok, but some things you should also keep to yourself with good friends.
- What the boss says Employers can neither require nor prohibit private contacts at the workplace.
- Beware of flirtation: When the limit to the private is crossed, it is not far to love. Many employers do not like this because of the conflict potential.
- Social networks: Also pay attention to the fact that you are betraying your work on social networks like Twitter or Xing - especially if the boss belongs to their friends. But: In particular, Facebook can be adjusted so that not everyone is aware of everything.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).