This entry contains content and information that may be out of date, eg due to legal or statistical changes. Because it can still be helpful to get an overview of the topic, you can still find it here.
Self-insured or through the employer?
If you have completed a postgraduate degree and have been freed by your employer during this time, if you are working independently of the postgraduate studies, or if you want to prepare the postgraduate studies for the professional (re) entry, briefly if you are not covered by social insurance during the postgraduate studies and also no longer covered by statutory health insurance, there remains only one thing: you must voluntarily insure yourself in a legal or private health insurance of your choice.
Only if you have already been privately insured, you can again be privately covered by health insurance or stay with the 1.1.2009 without health insurance. Only then does the obligation to health insurance cover all citizens. However, you pay the full employer and employee share, ie depending on the fund, from about 12-15 percent of your income, plus 1,7 percent long-term care insurance and 0,25 percent for childless. However, the statutory health insurance fund assumes a minimum income of 1.242,50 Euro per month, whereby the contribution is, for example, 13,9 Euro 183,89 Euro.
The most important thing about voluntary health insurance at a glance:
- Application and deadline: The possibility of voluntary insurance for a statutory health insurance fund exists whenever compulsory insurance ends. In the case of students, this is the case after the end of student compulsory insurance (after exceeding the semester or age limit). Voluntary insurance must be applied for within three months of compulsory insurance.
- Pre-insurance periods: Anyone seeking voluntary insurance must provide pre-insurance periods: either before the end of compulsory insurance, they must have been permanently members of the statutory health insurance scheme for at least two years (also intermittently) in the last five years.Minimum contribution and income-dependent graduation : It is important at this point that the tariffs are graded depending on the income category according to the contribution categories. The basic price is based on a statutory minimum income of 1.242,50 Euro and goes up to a maximum income of 3.600 Euro per month. The distances between the classes are graded differently by the health insurance companies. In the income classification, In addition, not only income from work is taken into account.
- If you have a Further education, such as For example, if you take a postgraduate course, you can take out voluntary insurance: The health insurances assume that your income is at least 828,33 Euro per month and thereafter the contribution rates are calculated, depending on the percentage of your health insurance plan. The contributions are then about 120 Euro a month, depending on the cash. The only condition is that on average you are only allowed to work less than 18 hours a week. This limit may be slightly exceeded if your work is directly related to postgraduate studies. The same rule applies if you are physically or mentally unable to work full-time or if you need to look after relatives. Of course, you have to prove that you meet these conditions in writing, often with an income certificate, as well as a receipt (for example for your education).
- Some health insurance funds also continue normal student health insurance during a consecutive postgraduate course, which is directly connected to the first course. Reason: It is not clearly legally regulated whether you are still a student during the postgraduate studies or not and some funds use this gap for a special arrangement. You can not earn more than 400 Euro a month. If you earn more in one employment, you are insured through the employer. If you work independently, you must voluntarily insure yourself at the above conditions.
Alternative Private Health Insurance
An alternative to legal, voluntary insurance is private health insurance. As a rule, for younger men the contributions are even more favorable, the service offer may be greater. However, there are some disadvantages:
- Contributions: The insurance contributions are independent of income - if you do not earn anything, you still have to pay. There is no guarantee for stable contribution rates: If your rate group closes, perhaps because it has become unprofitable, you may have to accept higher contributions. And: women and older people pay much higher contributions than younger men.
- Benefits: If you take out private health insurance and then get married and / or have children, you pay a full contribution for each member of the family who is to be insured. You also have to pay extra for the health and maternity allowance, which is included in the statutory contribution.
- Return to the statutory health insurance: If you insure yourself as a self-employed person, you will later only be reintegrated into the statutory health insurance if you work in dependent employment - before the 5-year. However, if you have been exempted from work by your employer for the duration of the postgraduate course, you should have no problems with this scheme.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).