If you do not fail, you have not tried anything new
The other day I read the appropriate saying: “If you don't make mistakes, you haven't tried anything new”. A very fitting saying. And yet we all too often try to avoid mistakes right from the start, even to exclude them categorically in order to prevent them.
Haven’t you ever caught yourself saying to your boss, “But I don’t know if I can really do it?” Sure, it's meant nicely: Of course you will try everything, just in case it doesn't work, you shouldn't be angry with them ...
Sympathetic, but incompetent
Many people build ahead. And women especially like it. “But it may be that”, “Maybe better not…” are typical phrases with which one expresses one's uncertainty about the success of an order or a project. For example, if the boss is known as a choleric, who likes to freak out about the smallest mistake! Human. But the wrong signal!
To be honest, I personally sympathize with people who prefer to be skeptical at first instead of making full-bodied promises - which they do not follow afterwards. That seems honest and considered. But: It can also make you nervous. For example, the boss, who actually wants to sell his performance. And to be honest: It does not seem particularly competent!
Hope for mitigation
If you take a closer look, such an action is equally less sympathetic: anyone who acts in this way wants to warn his opponent in the event that it goes wrong, so that he or she is not angry. It is hoped that the conventionalized attitude is a kind of punishment in the event that it actually goes wrong.
But that is also implicitly behind it: fear. Namely before your own failure. And the desire to then pass the responsibility on to others. According to the motto: “You knew beforehand that things could go wrong. I told you so! ” You also want to keep the (imagined) negative reaction of the other under control.
5 flop strategies that do not work
OK. Comfortable thought. Make many people happy. But does not work. For several reasons:
- The boss is still angry: Even if you have told it to his colleague or boss, the afterwards do not want to know about it and are nevertheless sour
- The boss becomes suspicious: But if you tell the boss in advance that it might go wrong, he may become suspicious - and maybe angry right from the start!
- Control addiction is not working: You can not control the behavior of others, no matter what you do! As hard as it gets: sometimes you can only continue with confidence.
- Those who feel insecure undermine their competence: Fact: those who think unsure from the outset only point out their weaknesses instead of emphasizing their strengths. It undermines its own competencies. The boss thinks: “Doesn't he dare to do anything? What kind of a washcloth is that? ”
- Choleric types might become acidic: And the other one is probably still pissed, for example, if he is a choleric guy, because he immediately realizes that he wants to be as quiet as possible and feels patronized!
So let the pre-build better. You may wake only sleeping dogs, the benefit is zero! Therefore: More courage please! This is easier said than done, because failure is not envisaged in our success story: we always read and hear the success stories of Siegertypen.
5 Top strategies for dealing with errors
That many of those in life also had to put back bitter setbacks and often made mistakes, do not mention these success stories. What a nonsense! But how do you deal courageously with criticism, your mistakes or your own failure?
- Sticking to 0 error culture is stupid: But in an increasingly globalized society, where there are less and less straightforward careers, and interpersonal relationships are anything but stable, adherence to such long-standing thinking and behavioral patterns and an 0 error culture is just stupid: stubborn persistence of past principles leads to no success in the end. If we always believe we can continue as far as ever, we will ultimately fail. And this both humanly and economically.
- To learn from mistakes: Better than insisting on an 0 error mentality, is to learn from your own and the mistakes of others and make it better. Best example from the economy, very recent: the media sector. Like her, the music industry has smiled and despised the new medium Internet for years. No serious business models have been thought about. Now that it is clear that more and more readers of the printed paper switch to the Internet, hectic financing aspects are discussed. The train may have already left its mark, because players like Google, Facebook or Amazon have the control over the Internet already firmly in the hand
- Back and then with startup before: Digitization and disruption could be the death sentence of many Company be. But it could also be that you learn from the mistakes, develop new, innovative ideas and develop new, much better ideas. To be honest, I even count on it, because that's how innovation and progress in history has always worked. And this also applies to the individual: setbacks are important: they stop us if we go too far at one point and point out what we can do better for the future. Failure is simply part of it so that we can become even better in the future!
- Depending on the situation: Of course, proper handling of errors also depends on the context: there are situations that are so serious that it is actually better to discuss the problem with the boss or client beforehand. But to exclude that something goes wrong, you just never - just as little as 100 percent control over the reaction of the other win. And: There should also be people who appreciate talking to them about their insecurities beforehand.
- How is it important? It is always important, however, how we deal with our own failure: whether we strangle, stubbornly try to continue at any cost, blame others, whine and regard ourselves as victims. Or whether we admit our mistakes - ourselves and others - and are prepared to learn from them, to get up and - maybe a little smaller at the beginning - to continue.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960664
English version: ISBN 9783965960671 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).