Expert deficit: no all-clear?
Technical studies are booming. The Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft looked more closely at the numbers of students in these subjects in a study and exults:
“There is no longer a threat of a general shortage of skilled workers in the MINT professions, as was feared a few years ago.”
All clear for employers?
So the German economy does not have to worry about leaving orders and sales because it does not find any qualified employees?
It's not that easy. For example, the industry association BITKOM recently predicted that the proportion of newcomers to IT-related occupations will decline significantly in the coming years.
Reason are more complex systems and technologies that demand more expertise. This will further increase the entry barrier for IT professionals in the future. Can the increase in IT students fill this gap?
Doubts about the BITKOM thesis
One may doubt this in view of an investigation by the Institute of German Business in Cologne. According to the analysis, the unemployment rate for IT professionals with an academic degree is less than three percent. Finding specialists in this field is therefore anything but easy.
In addition, digital trends such as the 4.0 industry and the Internet of Things (IoT) are further increasing the demand for IT specialists, especially in the automotive and mechanical engineering industries. With these technologies, new job descriptions will emerge, such as body mechanics or mechanical engineering.
That's what employers need to do now: 8 tips
However, the tailor-made training of skilled workers is not enough to meet all the challenges of digitization. In addition to the ever broader field of application of IT knowledge, the high speed of technical progress also plays a major role.
- Lifelong learning offers: Lifelong learning is becoming increasingly relevant; in IT careers, continuing education is essential anyway. For employers a good starting point, valuable experts also in the long term to their own Company to bind. The young generation of applicants (Keyword Generation Y) attaches great importance to opportunities for personal development and the acquisition of additional qualifications.
- Retention Management through further education: Company-based training offers not only help retain and motivate employees, but can help build up the know-how needed in the company. The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) has found in a survey that almost half of German managers are not or only partially satisfied with the IT competence in their own company.
- To give professional development a high priority: Accordingly, the technical training of IT staff and learning opportunities as a tool for employee retention have a high priority overall in the surveyed companies. Especially IT certifications will become more important in the coming years.
- Employer branding makes the difference: Given the persistent shortage of skilled IT professionals, employers are in a fierce competition for talented junior staff. Anyone neglecting employer branding is negligent. The next generation not only benefits from the transformation of the labor market towards a pronounced market for applicants, it also wants to be addressed differently than the parent generation.
- Promotion and appreciation for the employees: A well-paid, secure job is not enough for many of the so-called generation Y. They want support, appreciation and individual perspectives. As a result, companies can no longer rely solely on their size and reputation to attract qualified candidates. Instead, they must offer attractive job profiles and working conditions that meet the needs and aspirations of the new generation in the labor market.
- Using talent management as an opportunity: In addition to Clever Employer Branding, Talent Management offers companies a chance to compete with professionals, especially if they can not score with a prestigious name or a top location. The technology industry is at the forefront - think of the Google campus, unlimited vacation with Netflix or trust work time and place at Microsoft.
- Create think tanks for ideas: In-house think tanks that work on creative ideas for the future, such as the IBM THINKLab or the SAP AppHaus, are also magnets for the committed new generation. But it does not always have to be a cultural revolution.
- Health management can do a lot: Even simple measures can often make a big difference, such as fitness offers, flexible work or even places of retreat. After all, in addition to suitable technical equipment and infrastructure that enable spatial flexibility and intellectual creativity, mutual trust and a modern management style in which the individual employee is much more than a “production factor” are also required.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960282
English version: ISBN 9783965960299 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).