More competition requires more performance
Recently, the Federal Statistical Office reported that the number of students has reached a new peak. In the current semester, 2,8 has registered millions of students at German universities, more than ever before. At the same time, the number of graduates also grows. In the 2014 year, 460.000 students have earned an academic degree.
That is 6 percent more than a year ago. These figures show: Competition among the highly qualified is growing. Even if a study is still the best insurance against unemployment and is reflected in above-average pay, a Bachelor's or Master's degree does not automatically mean a smooth career path.
Students do not rely on their studies alone
The students have recognized this and do not rely solely on their studies to equip themselves for a successful start into their professional life. In a recent survey among well-known 1.000 German students, 90 indicated a percentage of the respondents to get fit for the job next to the university.
This is by no means due to the lack of quality of academic training. A majority of 60 percent feels well or very well prepared for the future relevant topics of their department. However, only 16 percent see their studies as the most important career preparation.
Other forms of knowledge transfer are also popular: practical experience counts. This puts the students on the right path. Practical experience is a very important way for career starters to prepare for work.
7 tips for career advancement
But how come the students to their additional qualifications? Additional skills can be acquired eg through practice and Further education and thanks to eLearning, it helps to learn individually and purposefully. 7 Tips:
- Internships and part-time jobs: The interviewees attach great importance to internships and internships as well as part-time jobs. German students have realized that academic expertise is not enough to survive in working life. Half of the respondents use internships and 43 percent secondary jobs related to study content to gain work-related skills.
- Courses offered at the university: One in five takes advantage of the courses offered by his university, which are not part of his curriculum. Nearly as many (18 per cent) are additional knowledge in self-study.
- Additional courses: There are numerous training courses that help students to practice and deepen their teaching content.
- Close knowledge gaps: In practice, many skills such as English, IT skills or project management are expected, which are hardly taught at university, even in many secondary jobs. If you have any gaps in your knowledge here, you can conclude them uncomplicatedly in the form of courses or workshops.
- Further Education: More than half said they had already used further training courses such as courses, workshops or barcamps. The main motivation for this is the improvement of one's own career opportunities: 30 percent want to stand out from the competition by additional skills, more 17 percent hope to meet the requirements of future employers better.
- Use eLearning: In the meantime, there are so many offers on the market thanks to eLearning that there should be something for everyone. Many courses are even free - a key consideration for 55 percent of respondents in the study. Maybe that's also the case Best of HR – Berufebilder.de®-eLearning offer something for you?
- Self-initiative and self-discipline show: Recognizing such offers sends a signal to potential employers. It proves self-initiative and self-discipline. These are skills that are highly valued by superiors. It is important that you know your own type of learning and choose a course that suits your own personality. This not only motivates, but also increases the learning success. Because the fun of the matter is not negligible: After all, 23 percent stated to develop mainly for personal interest.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download or print this text as PDF for 24 hours - no distribution or duplication! When buying in "interests" the title: register, after purchase text Download at this URL, Buy multiple texts in one PDF: Book multiple copies and buy after purchase eMail communicate exact titles. Premium Members download 1 for free for a year.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or appeal as a job applicant? For these and other topics, we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).