More competition requires more performance
Recently, the Federal Statistical Office reported that the number of students has reached a new peak. In the current semester, 2,8 has registered millions of students at German universities, more than ever before. At the same time, the number of graduates also grows. In the 2014 year, 460.000 students have earned an academic degree.
That is 6 percent more than a year ago. These figures show: Competition among the highly qualified is growing. Even if a study is still the best insurance against unemployment and is reflected in above-average pay, a Bachelor's or Master's degree does not automatically mean a smooth career path.
Students do not rely on their studies alone
The students have recognized this and do not rely solely on their studies to equip themselves for a successful start into their professional life. In a recent survey among well-known 1.000 German students, 90 indicated a percentage of the respondents to get fit for the job next to the university.
This is by no means due to the lack of quality of academic training. A majority of 60 percent feels well or very well prepared for the future relevant topics of their department. However, only 16 percent see their studies as the most important career preparation.
Tip: More about - here the Download text or book an eCourse on the topic . Insider News per Newsletter or for Members!
Other forms of knowledge transfer are also popular: practical experience counts. This puts the students on the right path. Practical experience is a very important way for career starters to prepare for work.
7 tips for career advancement
But how come the students to their additional qualifications? Additional skills can be acquired eg through practice & Further education And thanks to e-learning, it helps to learn individually and purposefully. 7 Tips:
- Internships & Side Jobs The respondents' internships and practical exams as well as side jobs with specialist coverage are of great importance. German students have realized that academic expertise is not enough to insist on working life. In order to adapt to work-related abilities, half of respondents rely on internships and 43 percent on secondary jobs, which are related to the content of their studies.
- Courses at the university One in five takes advantage of the courses offered by his university, which are not part of his curriculum. Nearly as many (18 per cent) are additional knowledge in self-study.
- Additional courses There are numerous training courses that help students to practice and deepen their teaching content.
- Close knowledge gaps In practice, many skills such as English, IT skills or project management are expected, which are hardly taught at university, even in many secondary jobs. If you have any gaps in your knowledge here, you can conclude them uncomplicatedly in the form of courses or workshops.
- Further education More than half said they had already used further training courses such as courses, workshops or barcamps. The main motivation for this is the improvement of one's own career opportunities: 30 percent want to stand out from the competition by additional skills, more 17 percent hope to meet the requirements of future employers better.
- Use e-learning In the meantime, thanks to e-learning, there are so many offers on the market that there should be something for everyone. Many courses are even free - a key criterion for 55 percent of respondents in the study. Perhaps it is also with the Best of HR - Berufebilder.deE-learning offer something for you?
- Show initiative & self-discipline Such offers, sends a signal to potential employers. One demonstrates self-initiative and self-discipline. These are abilities highly appreciated by superiors. It is important to know your own type of learning and to choose a course that suits your personality. This not only motivates, but also increases the student's success. Because the fun of the thing is not to be neglected: After all, 23 percent stated to develop mainly out of personal interest.
More knowledge - e-courses, text download or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text for 24 hours as PDF or print it out - only for reading! Simply refresh the page after your purchase. Or as Premium Member 1 all texts and eCourses for free:
eBook on Demad put together by us: We put together for you your personal eBook up to 12 texts of your choice together. Or book one email course - including care & certificate.
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or appeal as a job applicant? For these and other topics, we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).