6 Tips for trainees
Punctually appear to work, reliably perform the tasks assigned, show interest in the operation and do not rest on the entry level, but also signal in good time, if something is not going well, so are proven tips for trainees. Perfect for apprentices in the office or workshop. But how can an apprentice score points to the boss if the job constantly brings him to changing locations beyond the company headquarters?
- Reliability is the most important thing: Being prepared and planning are probably the most important requirements for our trainees. On construction sites reliability plays a special role. Because as an electric company we are - just like our colleagues from other companies too - only one of many trades, which are planned and timed by the site manager exactly. If a wheel fails here, because the employees are not on time at the place of work or have wrong tools, they all fall into arrears. And that of course is negative to mine Team and me back and gives the apprentice no pluses. That means for the apprentice: be on time at the place of work. So better check the evening before, what equipment he needs, how to get to the place of use and when to drive buses and trains.
- Attention as a lifesaver: On the construction site it is important to be attentive, because on the one hand, there are many more hazards than in the office, on the other hand, the apprentice learns from the first day what is to be done in his job. Who loses the connection here, comes quickly into stress. As a company, we have a tight timeframe in which we can carry out maintenance or the installation of the electrics, otherwise the equipment would stand still for too long or other trades can not work on the building. Even if we as bosses and fitters are therefore indulgent towards an apprentice who has not yet mastered his tasks, the pressure comes from the outside.
- Search for a conversation if there are problems: But what if I do not immediately learn what is shown and explained to me? Then necessarily the conversation search and give immediately feedback. But who is best to talk to the boss? In case of professional questions, always approach the specialist supervisor, ie the mechanic or Obermonteur. Only when the apprentice does not progress, because perhaps the chemistry is wrong, he can talk with a project leader.
- Pursue interests and connect patience with initiative: Many apprentices quickly realize that the job is fun to them, but not every job is equal. We advise you to have a mixture of patience and initiative: it's like in any job, some things are easier for you. But first, as an apprentice, I have to learn the basics, the craftwork - even if it should be hard. At the same time, the apprentice should, however, already find out whether there is a specialization for his or her area of desire. So prepared, he can appeal to his superior and suggest to develop with the help of the operation in this direction. This benefits the company and the commitment is certainly good.
- Score with the boss: Many trainees wonder whether “those at headquarters and the boss” actually notice what they are doing. Does it matter how committed a trainee is and can he help the team to notice this? Definitely yes! In our company, as in many other companies, the team leaders provide feedback on the performance of their employees, and the training supervisor can also read a lot from the report books. And the trainee himself can also take action by asking questions, demanding responsibility for ever larger, more complex tasks, being careful and helping the team and relieving the strain on colleagues.
- Correct correct choice: And if the training company does not fit at all? Breaking a doctrine is a great step that should be carefully balanced with family and trust persons. In any case, the young person should already have an alternative plan in his pocket. This also includes plausible arguments, why the training in the previous operation was not the right thing and how the apprentice now wants to start.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).