15 percent of working time for conflicts
Bad working environment, annoying colleagues, worse Cheftoo boring or too stressful tasks: There are many reasons why employees do not like their job. Often the work circumstances are actually to blame. Sometimes, however, the employee makes life difficult with his own attitude.
Studies show that in Germany around 15% of working hours are spent with the discharge of conflicts. Time that is better spent on productive work. But it is not always the dear colleagues or the bad boss to blame, sometimes it would already be enough, only a small step more to go to others.
How you stand in your way
It starts on a small scale. Quite a few employees stand in the way of themselves by generalizing individual bad experiences: "The colleague is always so rude!" "The food in the canteen is always too bad!" Or "I have made a mistake - I am completely incompetent!" These are sentences that many people probably think of several times a day.
But instead of saying, "Well, the colleague who has not greeted twice, has just a few times a bad day" is the generalization of the colleague just to unfriendly bitch. This quickly sets prejudices in their heads: if, for example, you no longer perceive nice gestures from the always unfriendly colleague and firmly believe in what you are talking about in this way. Clashes and quarrels are so pre-programmed, lack of motivation and lousy mood the result.
In some people, this is usually a chronic one - and refers to the entire workplace: employees who are about to start working too hard after the recruitment, or the many new things they are supposed to learn. Or over long distances, high nervous stress, overtime or simply over stress. There are quite good bosses, who give even difficult employees a chance and for example, a longer consent phase. This does not help if the employees give themselves no chance
To circumvent such homemade problems is only to check your own expectations and to consider things a bit more differently. And with some practice, this can also succeed.
12 Tip for better quarreling
- No generalized vocabulary! Do you often hear words like "never" or "always" in your vocabulary? Avoid such vocabulary in thought and speech - the first step towards a more differentiated view
- Consider each event individually: Just because the colleague did not greet you yesterday and today, she does not always have to do that. Maybe she was just stressed?
- Examine Expectations: Do not you expect a thing like that? Check if they do not already have prejudices.
- Change Settings: Some things you can not change. With a positive attitude to the matter, however, much is easier.
- Do not categorize: Especially when getting to know new people, we like to put them in drawers. Take a closer look and review your initial assessment, if necessary.
- Split problem into single problems: Often one sees one, because one generalizes, only a large problem mountain. Solve problems in small individual problems that will solve you step by step.
- To stay objective: In conflicts with the supervisor, it is particularly important to remain objective and objective, even if the boss does not meet the employee with the same professionalism.
- Patience and self-control: Emotions disturb judgment and provoke heated discussions. Employees should make a big difference.
- No know-it-alls! Of course, it's always easy to say that you can do it better yourself. Maybe the job requires the boss but much more than you perceive as an outsider.
- Understanding for the boss: Perhaps the boss has more to do than he can manage. Try to show understanding.
- Support the boss: Offer your help: Perhaps the boss has less experience in some areas and is grateful for help and support.
- To face the challenge: Employees should take every opportunity to prove that they are capable of coping with major challenges and taking responsibility. This gives pluses.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).