Who likes cover letters?
Have you found an interesting job vacancy? Then it means: Application documents on Vordermann bring. Is the Curriculum vitae once updated, the profile's requirement profile has to be looked at more closely and then the application letter has to be written.
"Dear Sir or Madam ...," Hello Mr. Meier ... "," I hereby apply ... "Cover letters for applications are tricky and nobody really knows what to write. There spiegelDon't the cover letter restore your motivation and skills.
The way to the perfect cover letter
The formulation is always dependent on the job and the company behind it. In the best case you already show clearly in the application text that you are the perfect candidate.
Dr. Job wants to make applicants as easy as possible and reveals five do's and don'ts that you should always keep in mind when writing the application text. What should not be missing? What can you do without today?
- Take a look: What do you apply for? Take in the subject of yours Casting Regarding the title of the position to be filled and the company. To do this, use the original description used in the job description (eg “Process / chemical engineer (m / f) at XY Co. KG.”). But the salutation already has some pitfalls: rather general or addressing someone directly? Study the job description carefully and see if you cannot find the name of a specific contact person. If not, it is worth calling and asking the company: "Who can I address my application to ...?" This shows commitment and interest.
- Use your cover letter also for form applications: Form applications are all the rage. This is mainly due to the fact that they are extremely practical due to the time saved - especially for companies. But for applicants it often means here: Only an application with a cover letter is a complete application! As a rule, forms do not exempt the applicant from enclosing a full cover letter. This can usually be integrated under the heading “Upload more documents” (or similar). You will find a reference to the required documents under the information on the application process.
- Leave a signature: Insert a handwritten signature at the end of your application text. Together with your name in block letters, the credibility and validity of your application text will help you and must not be missing in a professional cover letter, as well as in the CV. Use an appropriate pen and scan the borderless borderline.
- Stay consistent: Even if the curriculum vitae and the cover letter are separated files, they still create your digital application portfolio. Therefore, you should pay attention to a uniform layout - not only the font, but also the font size, the line spacing as well as the foot and / or header are to be found in cover letter and CV.
- Summarize: Certainly you have a lot to tell, especially when it comes to explaining gaps in your CV or changing your business, and to put them in the right light. But in general, a cover letter should not be more than one page. Therefore, focus on your essential professional qualifications that are relevant to the job and specifically formulate your motivation. If you can convince here, there is still enough space to explain everything else in the personal conversation.
- Avoid unconcrete: Take enough time to write your application text. The reader should notice that you really looked at the job. Qualities such as the ability to work in a team, flexibility and a sense of responsibility are important, but they usually don't set you apart from other applicants. Take a close look at the job advertisement and think about how you can bring your particular strengths into line with the job requirements. For example, if the job requires an “independent and conscientious way of working”, you could prove your experience in the independent management of projects, which requires a high degree of self-organization, conscientiousness and a sense of duty.
- Do not hide your personality: Be individual and avoid standard phrases such as “… I am applying for the position…” or “… I was able to identify myself with the profile of the advertised position”. Be yourself - dare to give your application a personal touch, whether with a little humor, a special writing style or a creative start. Show with a little flair why you are the ideal candidate for the company.
- Avoid clerical errors: Please handle your application conscientiously. After all, there is nothing more annoying than grammar or spelling mistakes caused by pure negligence. In the worst case, even if the other qualifications meet the requirements of the position, this even threatens to be selected from the application process. To avoid these mistakes, ask friends or acquaintances to read with an alert eye over your text. Alternatively, it helps to cover the cover letter a few hours and then have a look again.
- Do not make it hard for the reader: Just like with a well-written story, put sections of meaning. This will help the reader to understand your application text more easily. Remember: a HR manager usually does not spend more than two minutes per application (according to our experience). So write an exciting short story and not a novel. You should also avoid long nested sentences. This contributes significantly to a positive overall impression of you and increases your chances of being shortlisted.
- Avoid inattention: You should not lose a bad word about your old or current employer, not just in the application interview, but already in the application form. This could be a sign of lack of loyalty on your part and will not be seen at a potential new employee. Nobody would like to imagine how bad his opponent could talk about him in the future.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965962385
English version: ISBN 9783965962392 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).