Who likes cover letters?
Have you found an interesting job vacancy? Then it means: Application documents on Vordermann bring. Is the Curriculum vitae once updated, the profile's requirement profile has to be looked at more closely and then the application letter has to be written.
"Ladies and Gentlemen ...," Hello Mr. Meier ... "," I hereby apply ... "Cover letters of applications are tricky and no one really knows what to write. The letter reflects your motivation and abilities.
The way to the perfect cover letter
The formulation is always dependent on the job and the company behind it. In the best case you already show clearly in the application text that you are the perfect candidate.
Dr. Job wants to make applicants as easy as possible and reveals five do's and don'ts that you should always keep in mind when writing the application text. What should not be missing? What can you do without today?
- Take a look: What do you apply for? Take in the subject of yours application Reference to the title of the vacancy and the company. Use the original name used in the job description (eg "Process Engineering / Chemical Engineer (m / w) at XY Co. KG."). But even the salutation has some pitfalls: more general or address someone directly? Study the job description carefully and see if you can not find the name of a specific contact person. If not, a call and a consultation with the company is worthwhile: "To whom can I address my application ...?" This shows commitment and interest.
- Use your cover letter also for form applications: Form applications are in full swing. The main reason is that they are extremely convenient because of the associated time savings - especially for businesses. But for applicants it often says: Only an application with cover letter is a complete application! Because forms usually do not relieve the applicant from attaching a complete cover letter. This can usually be integrated under the heading "Upload additional documents" (or similar). A reference to the required documents can be found under the information on the application process.
- Leave a signature: Insert a handwritten signature at the end of your application text. Together with your name in block letters, the credibility and validity of your application text will help you and must not be missing in a professional cover letter, as well as in the CV. Use an appropriate pen and scan the borderless borderline.
- Stay consistent: Even if the curriculum vitae and the cover letter are separated files, they still create your digital application portfolio. Therefore, you should pay attention to a uniform layout - not only the font, but also the font size, the line spacing as well as the foot and / or header are to be found in cover letter and CV.
- Summarize: Certainly you have a lot to tell, especially when it comes to explaining gaps in your CV or changing your business, and to put them in the right light. But in general, a cover letter should not be more than one page. Therefore, focus on your essential professional qualifications that are relevant to the job and specifically formulate your motivation. If you can convince here, there is still enough space to explain everything else in the personal conversation.
- Avoid unconcrete: Take enough time to write your application text. The reader should realize that you have really dealt with the job. Qualities such as teamwork, flexibility and a sense of responsibility are important, but most often do not distinguish you from other applicants. Take a close look at the tender and consider how you can reconcile your particular strengths with the requirement profile of the job. For example, if the job requires an "independent and diligent way of working," you could prove your experience in independently managing projects that demand a high degree of self-organization, conscientiousness, and sense of duty.
- Do not hide your personality: Be individual and avoid standard phrases like "... I am applying for the position ..." or "... I could immediately identify with the profile of the advertised job". Be yourself - dare to give your application a personal touch, whether through a little humor, a special style of writing or a creative start. Show with a little tact, why you are the optimal candidate for the company.
- Avoid clerical errors: Please handle your application conscientiously. After all, there is nothing more annoying than grammar or spelling mistakes caused by pure negligence. In the worst case, even if the other qualifications meet the requirements of the position, this even threatens to be selected from the application process. To avoid these mistakes, ask friends or acquaintances to read with an alert eye over your text. Alternatively, it helps to cover the cover letter a few hours and then have a look again.
- Do not make it hard for the reader: Just as with a well-written story is true: put sense sections. This will help the reader to understand your application text more easily. Remember: For each application, a human resource manager usually spends no more than two minutes (our experience). So write an exciting short story and not a novel. You should also refrain from long box sets. This significantly contributes to a positive overall impression of your person and increases your chances of being short-listed.
- Avoid inattention: You should not lose a bad word about your old or current employer, not just in the application interview, but already in the application form. This could be a sign of lack of loyalty on your part and will not be seen at a potential new employee. Nobody would like to imagine how bad his opponent could talk about him in the future.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).