High willingness to move among young professionals
Almost a third of all younger employees are therefore open to new things. This resulted in 2015 a study on the career and readiness to change German workers. So it is all the more important as an employer to create incentives to stay - and to show that you are in good hands here.
The importance of employee retention, called Retention Management in the professional yargon, should be known to all those who had to arrange overtime because of the difficult workforce and thus the other colleagues had annoyed.
What Firms Can Do for Employee Engagement - 7 Tips
Long-term HR planning is important. After all, the training phases are expensive and time-intensive, costing double staff and perhaps the loyalty of the next employee who finally throws the towel because of too much work.
More money or mobility concessions then often count nothing. Sustainable use of human resources right from the start is the key to long-term commitment to this Company, However, there are more companies that can do to keep employees.
- Express esteem: An employee usually feels good, especially when he knows that his work is valued and his job is considered positive. The classic carrot and whip model works better when praise is distributed and genuine appreciation is given. Of course, some criticisms must be made when things go wrong - but the feeling of doing a good job and not having to fear for work is what motivates most workers to stay. After all, everyone wants to be appreciated. A small praise can help a lot and express: You are important here, this company needs you.
- To mediate longevity: Planning provides security. Just like the certainty that the employer does something to bind the employee: to transfer a project that is designed for several years and involves responsibility. A leading position in the team, which conveys that exactly this employee is important. Offering employee loans to employees in large projects, such as the purchase of a house close to the company, which on the one hand contributes to the fact that the employee has a personal interest in the company and on the other hand also implies by the employer that the employment relationship is perceived as a long-term one. Also the offer of a company retirement or health precaution possibilities gives the employees the feeling that someone has an interest in their long-term commitment to the enterprise. This conveys appreciation and security.
- Create a work-friendly environment: An environment in which the office staff feel comfortable is conducive to the working environment. This includes, on the one hand, a productive atmosphere - that is, a reasonable noise level, sufficient space for every employee, comfortable office furniture - but also the feel-good factor. Sufficient oxygen, an appealing environment, but also a place where the employees can sometimes meet for private conversations and get their head free. In some agencies the table kicker works as a time-out, in another it is the roof terrace, on which the view is sometimes enjoyed. The Support this little break provides more satisfaction and productivity, so that even after the break, the "lost" time is made up for again.
- Team building: Employees who have a good relationship with colleagues and can also experience informal meetings and discussions at work are more motivated, A well-functioning team that works well together has only positive effects on the performance of the individual. Collusion works more efficiently, a short chat in-between provides distraction, and employees get more motivated to work in the morning when they know they're meeting nice people again today. It makes sense to use this effect - which is why a company outing, company celebrations and team-building measures are so important. Creating small spaces where short private conversations are possible - such as the tea kitchen or sitting area - also creates stronger relationships among team members.
- To understand: The employee is missing this month for the second time because she was caught by the flu. Another is missing, because the child has become ill and has no time to care about it. The bus was late and some employees are arriving too late - things like this happen and are not a reason to get angry. Everyone has a bad day once, slept and comes too late or the external circumstances simply ensure that it is currently not so round. A month of poor performance does not necessarily mean that the employee has no more fun at his job and is eager to be resigned. Rather, it is often other things that just block him. Of course, no private life should permanently play a role in the work - but if it happens now and then, that is no reason to terminate with notice. If it does - and in the long run - prefer the personal discussion with the concerned employee. This creates clarity and provides a valuable opportunity to deepen the bond to the company. If you feel well-cared for and know that a great favor has been done to him, you would like to work it out afterwards.
- Create incentives: Only 27,5 percent of German employees do not want opportunities for advancement in their company. Conversely, the rest would like to make more of themselves and also have the opportunity to evolve. Seeing and tackling this trend makes a big difference. The offer of further education seminars or the internal promotion can be very motivating. Important: Do not make empty promises - because who does not feel taken seriously, is faster away.
- Provide feedback: In order to recognize the needs of one's own employees and also to communicate one's own regular feedback essential. It does not have to happen every month, but an annual interview is not enough in the long run and makes it a little bigger than it should be. Small, not very formal conversations are enough to ask whether the employee is still comfortable and copes with his tasks. Accordingly, these discussions should be conducted even if it is not just about criticizing - this destroys in the long run any good relationship with the employee. Anyone who feels close to the company and knows that his work is valued, that his opinion counts and that he himself can sometimes criticize, is bound long-term and feels at home in his workplace - the key to successful employee retention.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).