The selection is huge
According to Studieren.de, there are 649 universities in Germany, 17814 study programs and 3576 study profiles.
With this step plan, I would like to help the high school graduates as well as their parents in decision-making. This way you will find the right place to study, which fits your competences.
Level 1: What are your plans for the future?
With this question, you can clarify what should not be missing in your future job and what should be avoided. I recommend a conversation with a person about values and motives. Already at a young age, different personality traits are so present that they accompany us throughout our lives.
Level 2: Which competencies can you make use of?
Your interests will guide you in your study search. Interests do not tell you about your abilities. Your competencies are decisive for the selection of a suitable study place. What can you do particularly well? Sometimes a comparison with fellow students or friends helps.
Tip: More about - here the Download text or book an eCourse on the topic . Insider News per Newsletter or for Members!
Who is structured and wants clear procedures or is particularly detail-oriented. Who likes to push forward and sit down. How are you? To analyze this precisely is an important milestone on the way to your desired study place. I recommend a sparring partner with whom you can talk about all areas, such as school, leisure, hobbies, etc., and then also ask questions.
Level 3: 4 Tips for the specific study place search
- Some universities offer tests in which you can check which degree you are suitable for. There are tests like Borakel of the Ruhr University Bochum or a Studienwahltest from the education portal Germany, Austria and Switzerland. These help to get a clearer idea of courses and career prospects.
- Furthermore, I recommend the platform whatchado.de. Professionals report from your professional day in the form of five minutes of videos.
- Create an Xing profile. As a member of this social network, you can research well here. You can see how the career path looks like people with a similar background.
- Go directly into Companyand interview people who work in exciting occupations. Prepare a questionnaire. Maybe you can also arrange a taster day. Then make a pros and cons list. Of course, if you are very interested, I recommend an internship to work with you.
Level 4: Execute a reality check
- How realistic and future-oriented is your targeted study place? For the most part, it is wise to position yourself with the Bachelor in general in order to be broader.
- With a later Master and with internships you specialize.
- Read about the admission restrictions.
- Clarify the question: Is it financially viable to study in another city at all?
- Take care of subsidies, housing, etc.
At the end
Are uncertainties still present? Then I recommend you a stay abroad to make your thoughts mature.
Work & Travel, Working Holiday, an au pair activity or language travel are offered.
More knowledge - e-courses, text download or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text for 24 hours as PDF or print it out - only for reading! Simply refresh the page after your purchase. Or as Premium Member 1 all texts and eCourses for free:
eBook on Demad put together by us: We put together for you your personal eBook up to 12 texts of your choice together. Or book one email course - including care & certificate.
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or appeal as a job applicant? For these and other topics, we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).