The selection is huge
According to Studieren.de, there are 649 universities in Germany, 17814 study programs and 3576 study profiles.
With this step plan, I would like to help the high school graduates as well as their parents in decision-making. This way you will find the right place to study, which fits your competences.
Level 1: What are your plans for the future?
With this question you clarify, which under no circumstances may be missing in your future job and what should be avoided. I recommend a conversation with a person about values and motives. Even at a young age, various personality traits are so present that they accompany us throughout our lives.
Level 2: Which competencies can you use meaningfully?
Your interests guide you in your study place search. But interests do not say anything about your abilities. Your competences are crucial for the selection of a suitable study place. What are you particularly good at? Sometimes a comparison with classmates or friends helps.
Who is structured and wants clear processes or is particularly detail-oriented. Who likes to rush forward and prevail. How are you? Analyzing this exactly is an important milestone on the way to your desired study place. I recommend a sparring partner with whom you can talk about all areas, such as school, free time, hobbies, etc. and who then also asks helpful questions.
Level 3: 4 Tips for the specific study place search
- Some universities offer tests in which you can check which degree you are suitable for. There are tests like Borakel of the Ruhr University Bochum or a Studienwahltest from the education portal Germany, Austria and Switzerland. These help to get a clearer idea of courses and career prospects.
- Furthermore, I recommend the platform whatchado.de. Professionals report from your professional day in the form of five minutes of videos.
- Create an Xing profile. As a member of this social network, you can research well here. You can see how the career path looks like people with a similar background.
- Go directly into Company and interview people who work in exciting occupations. Prepare a questionnaire. Maybe you can also arrange a taster day. Then make a pros and cons list. Of course, if you are very interested, I recommend an internship to work with you.
Level 4: Execute a reality check
- How realistic and future-oriented is your targeted study place? For the most part, it is wise to position yourself with the Bachelor in general in order to be broader.
- With a later Master and with internships you specialize.
- Read about the admission restrictions.
- Clarify the question: Is it financially viable to study in another city at all?
- Take care of subsidies, housing, etc.
At the end
Are there still uncertainties? Then I recommend you a stay abroad, to let your thoughts ripen.
Work and travel, working holidays, au pair work or language travel are ideal.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).