First informing begins online
In the past, studying was a time-consuming affair - because there was an incredible amount of time left to wait: I remember that in Heidelberg, already at three o'clock in the morning (!), Commissions arrived to attend the seminar of a particular lecturer. Fortunately, this is much more efficient today - the waiting benches remain empty!
For the first informing begins online: If you want to study, look at the website of the university. There, high school graduates can find information about admission procedures and the application deadlines, the individual subjects as well as the examination regulations.
In addition, they can get an overview of the teaching content and the main research areas at a mouse click and compare them with other universities. At some colleges, video learning modules or so-called online self-assessment methods support the study choice, too apply You can now online in many places. Only enrollment usually has to be done in person.
What do Campus Management Systems do?
In the organization of studies, so-called campus management systems help many students to manage their entire course of studies themselves. Thus, a student can quickly find out whether he fulfills the necessary prerequisites for a course, how many places are still free, and how they are awarded.
He is able to register for all events and examinations without having to stand in line and no longer has to collect notes - the electronic system keeps track of which courses students have already successfully completed and which are still needed. The study certificates and information on the status of the feedback can also be accessed at any time.
Student Life Online
But also the student life can be organized online: look at what is available in the cafeteria, register for university sports and see what interesting events there are on campus - all this is possible, as in the OPAC, the online -Catalogue of the University Library to research or order books- Numerous books and periodicals are now also available online.
Many universities now also use eLearning services as a supplement to classroom teaching. Here, students can review lectures, retrieve materials and scripts for their seminars, multimedia materials with animations, videos and sound illustrate complex topics and are even available on the go on the mobile phone.
Joint learning online
In addition, the Internet facilitates learning in working groups: students can discuss appointments, chat with fellow students, discuss in forums, send messages or exchange files. And finally, exams also work partially online:
At the Free University of Berlin, for example, “e-examinations” are held, in which 300 students answer questions that are found on the computer at the same time under the supervision of a special PC pool.
10 Tips for Digital Studies
You can see that studying can not be organized offline anymore. What prior knowledge should the novices bring with them today?
- Computer enthusiasm: Important is a certain affinity to computers. Anyone familiar with the use of computers or the Internet from school and leisure should not have any problems at the university.
- The computer is not just for playing! Many people know the Internet as a communication medium, eg through the student's club, or through games. If you want to study online successfully, you need to understand that the computer is more than just a fun and game device: it has to understand the computer as a work, learning and information device.
- Do not be afraid of the internet: Fears about the computer and the Internet, as parents or teachers often have, just as far as data protection is concerned, is inappropriate: It is important that you learn a responsible deal with the medium.
- Engagement: You do not have to be a nerd yet to use eLearning offerings; However, if you want to get more involved with the functionality of the offers, you need to go deeper.
- Self-employment and self-responsibility: Online learning requires independence and self-responsibility: you have to teach yourself a lot through onlineCourses and trial and error. But: Support is always within reach.
- Own laptop: Students who bring their own laptop at the university have significant advantages: for example, because they can research material directly in the lecture.
- Own software: Current software is also an advantage because it is more likely to be compatible with the digital offerings at the universities.
- self-discipline: But digital self-discipline also requires a lot of self-discipline: People who are online a lot are in danger of being distracted by the many fun things they offer. So be careful that while surfing during the lecture, you do not accidentally get stuck on Facebook.
- Imprint: Beware of copyright: Even though information is now freely available on the Internet, that does not mean that you can simply copy chores or call sources. Here care is still required.
- Good research: The speed of the information invites inaccuracies. But be careful: the ability to research carefully, to argue well and to write longer texts is still in demand and should be practiced accordingly.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).