Peace, joy, pancakes - the risks
Cool bosses, who play table tennis with their staff, organize summers and go on holiday together with the whole team, are a symbol of a new, more social world of work. The boss, who also shows his human, soft side, is regarded as an example. But is it really like that?
Feelgood-Management, but also its risks and side effects, we have already reported several times in detail - including in the interview with Monika Krauss-Wildegger.
When Nice Bosses become a problem
From my own experience, I know that too nice bosses can sometimes be a problem. For example, when they see employees as their friends, want to be liked by everyone - and then find it difficult to make even unpleasant decisions. And they are necessary when it comes to the well-being of the entire company.
Exactly for this opinion has been Best of HR – Berufebilder.de®-Author Roland Jäger was heavily criticized for his performance at Anne Will, for example, he was accused of representing an authoritarian, no longer contemporary style of leadership. In this, Jäger is of the opinion that a boss, who thinks about the good of his company, also helps his employees.
How not to do it
An example of how one should not make it better, according to Jäger: Mr. Lieblich visits a customer with his new employee. A friendly conversation during the trip is followed by an excellent contract conclusion. Because boss and customer understand themselves blindingly, the new sits a little apart, listens and is grateful that he does not have to be active himself. Chef Lieblich is also extremely satisfied and the gratitude of his staff warms his heart. The customer is flattered that the boss himself takes care of him. Everyone is happy. But is everything also good?
Rather not, because unfortunately Mr. Lieblich has lost sight of his real task: He should lead his staff. Part of that is that he sets clear goals, but not that he takes work from them. He usually has no time for that. Unfortunately the reality looks different, like Roland Jäger from his many years as a management consultant knows: "Even bosses want to be loved and needed. Therefore, many are afraid to speak a clear word, to intervene consistently and sometimes to make unpleasant decisions. Rather, they provide with nice words and gestures that peace-joy-pancake mood prevails - until sometime the evil awakening comes! "
Nice bosses are cowardly and selfish
And that comes inevitably. Because what these nice bosses often overlooked: In reality, they do not care for the well-being of their employees - but only for their own. That's cowardly and comfortable - says Jäger. "Employees realize very quickly, how they use the cuddling need of their boss best - for example by always leaving the important tasks to the boss and abusing his good nature. In the long term, however, the performance of the company's department suffers just like that. But someday someone will clean up properly, "warns Jäger.
It would be better to forgive constantly as a mistake or even jump for the subordinates always in the breach to signal clearly: "I stand behind you. And so I'll cut off the escape route for you too. Look, that you can handle the situation. I'm sure you can do that. "That means getting down to it hard when needed - but not just arbitrarily making despotic decisions - as Jäger makes clear:" A good boss decides on the good of everyone, but thinks so but first and foremost the good of the Company, In plain language: He does not harass his employees, but stands behind them. But not in front of them. "
10 Tips for better management
Chefs should not be too nice? 5 Practical Tips for Better Management Roland Jäger:
- Control instead of praise: Managers do not deserve praise but control. It is unjust if all employees are treated equally.
- The boss has to know what he wants! The saying goes: The hard dogs have the strongest packs. Employees are happy when their boss knows what he wants.
- Well meant is the opposite of good! Inconsistent bosses do not deserve trust, but disempowerment, because the cuddle course brings war instead of peace.
- Who does not fly, who flies! Highly qualified employees without self-propulsion must be separated, unmotivated high potentials are the worst employees.
- Employee loyalty is a myth: Whose best employees after three years do not cancel, is a bad boss!
- Please do not mother: The best bosses do not stand in front of their employees, but behind them - it does not help anyone to protect employees from the consequences of their actions.
- Good nature is a waste of money: Forgiving bosses do not prove greatness, but waste money. Why undisciplined employees have a right to severe sanctions.
- Just do not show weakness: Chefs of weak employees are themselves weak and dependent on their teams.
- Consequence is more important than creativity: Not ingenious ideas, but consistent action brings success - for managers, perseverance is therefore more important than creativity.
- Teamwork is important: With the right team, every strategy is the right one. The boss, on the other hand, does not use the best compass when traveling alone
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).