We make a distinction in Germany between large companies and medium and small ones. You should do that as well. Why is this important for you?
How to distinct companies?
This distinction depends not only on the turnover a company makes; it is also the number of employees. Large enterprises have several thousands of employees. Small and medium companies have less than 500 or 250. In fact, sometimes, they may have only 10 employees.
How many large companies does Berlin have? We have close to 100 companies with more than 1000 employees. At the same time, 340.000 enterprises have less than 250 employees. Almost half of them have around 10 employees.
Large vs. small & medium companies
What does this mean to you regarding an application to these companies?
- Large Companies offer so called trainee programs for beginners.
- They know the meaning of the word Employer Branding.
- They answer applications quickly and have staff development programs.
- Their career sites are professional.
- And they are actively looking for staff, sometimes with the help of headhunters.
- Smaller companies do not always have all these recruiting instruments.
- Personnel matters are often processed in the Finance or Marketing Departments.
- There is often only one person responsible for the whole process.
- The websites are designed for the product marketing purposes and not to present the company’s career opportunities in details.
- If present at all, jobs are only found hidden on the company’s webpage.
- The money for headhunters or placing ads in Step Stone or Monster is rather saved than spent.
80 % of the vacancies are not offered publicly
In Berlin, we assume that 80 % of the vacancies are not offered publicly but via word of mouth or references. But these smaller companies are interesting employers.
Some are leaders in the world market and they offer a variety of exciting tasks for their employees. So keep that in mind and always remember.
At this point, Thomas asked: How do I find these companies? What I told him, you will find in my next post tomorrow.